Friday, June 29, 2007

The Joys of Summer

Yesterday after work I hit the local lake for some sailing on the Hunky Dory. Hunky is my 16' wood dory that was built by a local high school shop class and then passed down to me after several owners. It was a little gusty out there so I needed to be careful to trim the sails so I don't tip over. Anyway got out on the lake and sailed around to the quiet side for an anchor in a little cove. The water was nice and warm so I did a little swimming while the Hunk rested. Glorious day. Then the wind really picked up and I did some very fast tacks across the lake as the BART trains flew by on the hill. Later the wind calmed down and I was able to lock the tiller and enjoy some of the finest sailing I have ever had on the boat ( I have owned her for almost 9 years). It was one sweet 3 hour cruise. The weather here has been on the cool side with lots of wind so far this summer. Yesterday in the south bay/Fremont area we hit a high of 74. Not too shabby with the bright sun and fog at the coast. Speaking of summer, they are still sailing on the ice in Finland. Check out this cool vid of the joys of another kind of summer fun, Finland style.

No comments: