Monday, August 02, 2010

August Sailing


We had a busy week last week with sailing and many events with the Too Much Fun Club. Wine tasting in Napa and lots of groovy folks! Had some maintenance on the boat too. I changed the impeller and had some issues getting the pump to prime. Saturday morning it was still not priming and for the first time in 10 years, I had to cancel a day trip with friends. I did some research on the web and found an interesting solution that may help others. The impeller moves water from the bay into the engine to keep it cool. It spins and spins and it had made some indentations on the cover. In my research, a few of the suggestions were to turn the cover over so it can use the smooth surface to create a seal and start moving the water. I did that and it worked like a charm. Sometimes it as simple as that.

The weather in Northern California has been nothing short of spectacular. Fog in the morn, Sunny by 11am and then 70's every day. They say this has been the mildest summer in 40 years! Perfect temps at night. My theory is that as the valley heats up, it is bringing in more cool air and keeping it mild near the bay. Great for sailing too!

My August looks great for more sailing adventures and working towards the Baja Ha Ha. On the 14th, I will be sailing out the Gate on Rainbow (36' cat) and hopefully the boat I will join for the rally. On Labor Day weekend we will do an overnight on the ocean and go way out past the Farallones. I also hope to head up the Petaluma River for a couple day trip with my friend Tex. Lots of day sails and a trip to the ballgame. Should be a great month of sails on both the Addiction and Rainbow!

3 comments:

Pat said...

Sounds like a great mix of outings.

pfb360 said...

Glad you got the impeller working again. Also, that is one funny picture!

Dennis @ Discount Marine Electronics said...

I hate it for you that for the first time in 10 years you had to cancel a day trip with friends. But as you said you learned something new that day. And hey what a fix too right? I mean you didn't have to buy a new part or pay a mechanic to put it on. Just took what was on there and flipped it over and the it sealed like a charm. Then you did the best thing I can think of and you redistributed that knowledge to all your readers.