Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Look Back at the 74' Sydney Hobart Race

With the 70th edition of the race a month away, let's look back to a simpler time when men wore baby oil and boats did not have self tailing winches.  1974 was the year and the winds were light.  The start of the race features a stalled tanker in the middle of the race course.  It's a very cool look back at these now vintage boats.  Go full screen.



Had a beautiful sail on Saturday on my friend Tex's new to him boat.  This is the second boat I have helped him find.  This one is a 76' Pearson 35'.  It was raining pretty good on Saturday morning.  One portion of the crew cancelled.  I was tracking the weather and new it was going to clear.  Headed up and the skies were blue and the wind was blowing.  We headed under electric motor and raised the sails.  Glorious!  We tacked past the pier and deep into Richmond.  Another tack and we were off to the city.  Tex is much shorter than I and has no problem with the boom that extends half way thru the cockpit.  He took the helm most of the day.  A quick run towards the barn and I am feeling sorry for the excellent sail my friends missed. Rain check!

No comments: