Monday, June 20, 2016

Awesome Shot



Frisbee golf started way back in the 60's and became a real sport in the 70's with the invention of the basket.

I started playing in college at a local course.  I played occasionally through out my 20's and 30's.  Now they have these very specialized discs which are smaller and with a heavier rim just for golf.  They fly much further than a conventional disc.  I never mastered these discs and still play with 175 gram disc that we used for Ultimate.  A few years ago, I decided to start playing when I walk Kona at the park.  I have gotten remarkably better.  I use objects in the park and I have worked it up to a 9 hole course.

Recently I was at a party celebrating my friend Steve's 40th year of ultimate Frisbee.  A couple of his friends showed up and wanted to check out the local course.  We headed over and they all showed up with their golf discs.  I showed up with my 175 and they started giving me a hard time in a good natured way.  The kept asking if I was really gonna play with the "lid"?  The first hole was a long drive to the woods edge.  My first shot was long and true and I was right with these guys.  My second shot got me about 40 feet from the hole, but I had to get through the trees as well.  I lined it up and boom...birdie!  Lucky, right?  Everyone else parred.  Next hole we all parred.  Third hole, birdie chance again from 50 feet...bingo!  I was on a roll and they headed back to their cars to their 175's!  It was a great game and we had a ton of fun.  If you have never tried this wonderful sport, head out the park and get crazy with hole layouts and use the sign posts, grill poles and whatever.  I don't usually use trees because they are too large of a target.   If you have a course nearby, all the better.  I was recently playing at a real golf course (think Tiger) and along with the regular holes they had placed Frisbee golf holes around the course.  How cool.  Now get out there and tee it off!

No comments: