Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Windsurfing Changed My Life

I was living on a lagoon in Foster City in 1985 when a friend gave me a windsurf board and sail. It was a Bic and very much a beginer board. Perfect for me. I had been surfing for 15 years and now I needed to figure out how to harness the wind. I picked it up quickly and sailed the summer away. Soon I purchased a Klepper board and it was very fast and took me out on the bay and delta. 3rd Ave and Coyote Point became my new hangouts. I started a windsurfing club called Windpower that brought like minded folks together for weekend adventures. A few years later, I was sailing 60-80 days a summer on the bay. I loved the feeling of skipping across the bay at 20-25 knots. One very windy day, waves formed in the deep channel near the San Mateo Bridge. Riding them was a thrill! I kept sailing for over 20 years and had an epic last sail on a bay near Hatteras called Pamlico Sound in 2008. I rented a hot board and was ripping it up in 30 knots of wind. It was an epic way to end my windsurfing voyage. I miss the speed and exhilaration but I love sailing my 40' sailboat even more!

No comments: