Friday, March 13, 2020

Ode to my First Mate

I could not have asked for a better sailing buddy than Kona, my golden retriever.  He has been sailing with me for the last 11.5 years on the SF Bay.  He has also been my constant companion off the boat.  On Sunday evening, after two day sails with friends, he fainted.  I got him into the berth and he did not move for 30 minutes.  We took him to the vet and an ultrasound revealed he had fluid in his lungs and heart.  He had cancer that had spread and there was nothing to be done.  He passed peacefully on Tuesday. 

He was our second golden and a 1 in a million dog!  He was an amazing friend and companion.  He never got in a fight with other dogs, was very friendly to small children and got compliments where ever we went.  I was approached by many strangers who had to say hello to him.  He was such a special boy.  I will miss him greatly.  His favorite part of the sail was when I anchored and put the kayak in the water so he could swim to the beach.  I love you boy!  You were the best!

Kona at Crater Lake in mid-July 2019.

No comments: