Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Bridge turns 75!



With our boat out of commission due to a water leak, I signed up with the crew of Fearless for a celebratory sail around the bay. The setting was spectacular as we were just below the north tower of the bridge for our send off. The boat was located at the Cavallo Pt. Marina in Fort Baker. You could not have asked for a better spot to begin our adventure. I arrived with plenty of time before we depart so I went for a bike ride across the bridge before the sail. I had also been to the 50th celebration in 87'. My girlfriend and I walked across with our bikes in tow back in the day. They had been expecting 40k walkers that day and ended up with 400k. It was a mess and one of the biggest cases of gridlock the bridge has ever seen...and not a car in sight. We made it, barely. This time there was no chaos. The ride was great and I made it back to car right on time. I joined the crew and Captain Steve was ready to go. We sailed with the bridge on our starboard side over to the city front. With a nice view of the shore side activities, we sailed down past Aquatic Park and then tacked towards Angel Island. We met up with Willin and Ohana at Ayella Cove and rafted up. A party broke out and we lingered for 30 minutes or so. Then it was a great sail back towards the bridge with the music cranking. Back at the dock, we opened some champagne for the fireworks. Amazing and beautiful. What a great way to say happy birthday to our iconic friend.

The video and music are from our friends at the local rock station, KFOG.

1 comment:

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Wow! Something is older than I am! Awesome!