Monday, December 30, 2019

History of Windsurfing - The Movie



I started windsurfing in the early 80's.  I had moved to the Bay Area from Carmel and was driving across the San Mateo Bridge when I saw a windsurfer cruising alongside the bridge.  I had been surfing for the last 12 years and was blown away by the speed this guy was going.  In '84, Peter Conmy lent me his board and I mastered it on the Foster City Lagoon where I lived.  Soon I was heading to Coyote Point on my Bic.  I soon purchased a faster board and was ripping the Delta.  I even started a windsurfing club called Windpower with 20 other like minded folks.  One of the many highlights was a midnight sail with glow sticks on our masts.  Finally, I purchased a high end board made for the bay and I started sailing a few times a week on the bay.  Flying across the water at 20 knots was the highlight of my summer!  Sailing in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge and all the bay traffic really got my heart pumping.  After I started sailing keel boats on the SF Bay in 2000, my windsurfing ended.  But during those great days at 3rd Ave in the 80's & 90's, I was living the windsurfing dream!!

No comments: