Tuesday, March 05, 2024

My biggest bonehead move was truely boneheaded!

It was my senior year in high school in 1976 and if I won the 100 yard back stroke ( 4 laps) in the championship, I would receive the high point award for the meet. This was back of the 70’s and lane lines had small plastic markers to keep the lines a float. They were spaced about 8 feet apart. On your marks, Go! I hit the wall in first place and had a perfect turn. I took a few strokes and unbeknownst to me, I swam over the lane line and into the next lane. I hit the wall perfectly again and BAM! My head slammed into the swimmer in the next lane (he was approaching his second turn, I had completed mine). I stopped and was disqualified with a nice concussion. Needless to say I did not win the award and was very disappointed! I did however go on to have an amazing college career on a swimmming/water polo scholarship. Shorty after that, lane lines improved and that could never happen again. Here is the latest swimming controversy:

No comments: