Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Have You Had an Unusual Experience While Swimming?

I have three. I have been a swimmer all my life and was a scholarship swimmer/polo player at a Division 1 college. In my senior year of high school way back in 76′, I was at the championship and needed to place in the top 2 in the 100 yard backstroke to win the high point trophy for my age group. Ready, GO! I hit the first turn perfectly and was swimming fast. As I hit my second turn, I came off the wall and hit another swimmer in the head… with my head! I had swam over the lane line into another lane! I stood up dazed, and was promptly disqualified because I touched bottom. Bummer! My other moment was when we were rafting down the Colorado river. We made a stop at Havasu Creek for a hike to Beaver Falls. We reached this beautiful falls and one of the boatmen asked if I was game for a special treat? Yes. We swam over to the falls and then proceed to dive down 10 feet under water and then 10 feet behind the fall and then up 10 feet. Easy for me and I had googles on and could see perfectly. We ended up in a cave that was about 3 feet high above the water and 6 feet across. It fit 3–4 people. Because the water was so clear, when the light came up from the bottom. the color inside the cave was bright green. It was amazing. They called it the “green room”. I loved it. Lastly, I was on a sailing trip in Mexico. We stopped for a couple days at Santa Maria on the west coast of Baja. I had been at a beach party all day and when I got back to the boat about 9, I needed a swim. I donned my trusty goggles and jumped in the warm water. My whole body lit up with an amazing green color from the bioluminesence. Tiny proto-plankton that light up when agitated. I had seen it before but nothing like this. The faster I swam, the brighter it got. With my goggles on, I could see perfectly. Even tho it was a bit dangerous to be swimming at night, alone in a huge bay, I was too excited to think about it. I swam for about 40 minutes and loved the amazing color these tiny creatures created. Similar to a lighting bug color, however there were millions of them on my body and it was exhilarating!

No comments: