Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Know Your Limits as well as Your Boat's Limits


We had a sad Sunday on the Bay when a couple was found in the water and their sailboat sailing away. The wind was in the 30's and the seas were big and steep. These folks were sailing back from Half Moon Bay and very close to their destination inside the Gate. Neither made it home. I have been sailing inside the bay for 10 years and have never ventured much past the Gate in those years. I know it can be nice and gentle out there and it can also be life threatening in rough conditions. In addition, our boat does not have all the safety gear that I think is needed once you turn the corner. It's dangerous out their folks! Stay inside the bay unless you have all the equipment and knowledge you need. Have a mentor take you out on their boat so you can get a feel for some of the most dangerous waters in the west. Some friends from San Francisco sailed around the world and I asked them where the roughest water was. They said the first 100 miles was the worst. And what about your crew? Are they ready to go out there? I had a crazy friend who went out on a race out to the Farallons which are about 20 miles off the coast. She freaked out as they rounded the island as it was insanely rough. Unbelievably, she jumped off the boat and into the Pacific! They were able to get her back on board, however it goes to show you how crazy it can get and what your crew might do in a hairy situation. So folks, stay inside the bay until you have all the equipment, knowledge and experience to sail the frigid, dangerous waters of the Pacific.

Here is another take on this accident.

3 comments:

O Docker said...

I've done exactly two trips to Half Moon Bay - both in June.

The first was completely airless, and I kept asking myself why I was motoring all the way out to the deep water channel before turning left.

The next time, on a much lighter day than this past weekend, I decided to cut the corner. As we approached Seal Rocks (but still a half-mile off), all hell started breaking - the wind came up and so did the waves. We reefed, changed course, and got out of there quick.

It may be a good place for seals, but not boats.

Mon Urbi said...

I heard about this tragedy the day after it happened and I reflexibly remembered you from our conversation during your visit to my shop to have your glasses fixed. I'm glad to know that even with many years of sailing experience, you find it prudent to sail within your boat's limits, and have a well defined risk tolerance. What sailing adventure can surpass what one can get within the Gate is beyond me, but I've never sailed, so I can't imagine the lure that the blue yonder presents once the bug bites.

Pat said...

The bug is lurking, waiting to bite. And even the bay doesn't exactly sound like a cakewalk on a blustery summer afternoon.