It's getting closer! Our departure date for Australia is 10 months away! Here is a quick checklist:
1) Purchase the boat. Picked up a 2001 40' Jeanneau with 3 cabins last month. She is as beautiful as she is fast!
2) Crew for the one year journey. Tex and Mike will be onboard for our adventure.
3) Add cruising gear to the boat. AIS, solar, spinnaker, life raft, etc. will be added in January.
4) Take the boat up and down the Pacific coast for some trial sails. Plan to do that once all the safety gear is added.
5) Once we arrive in Brisbane, Australia - sell the boat and fly home. I have a top broker lined up.
Here is our itinerary:
I have been dreaming about this voyage for over 30 years. And now the dream is becoming a reality. We hope to have friends and family join us along the way. At Burning Man this year, I met a chap who has sailed around the world several times. He will join us for the first month or so and give us insights into a successful/safe cruise. It will be great to have him on board.
We plan to document our radical sabbatical on these pages and I hope you will follow us as we hit some of the most beautiful landfalls on the planet. They call the sail from the eastern Pacific to the western Pacific the Coconut Milk Run. Here are some highlights of our trip:
6 weeks cruising Cali and the islands off Santa Barbara. The Channel Islands offer amazing anchorages just off the LA Basin.
3 months in Mexico. It's a huge country with many beautiful places to anchor. We will be in Puerto Vallarta for 3 weeks to meet friends for sails, fun and parties.
An 18 -22 day passage from Central America to the Marquesas and over 3000 miles.
3 months in the South Pacific including a 3 week stop in Bora Bora to meet more friends in paradise.
Cook Islands, Niue, Fiji, Tonga and many of the amazing islands on the route.
An October arrival in Australia.
Wish us a bon voyage!!!